Martin County Sex Crime Defense Lawyers
Protecting Your Rights & Best Interests
A sexual crime in Florida is any unwanted or forced sexual encounter between two parties. The state of Florida takes these offenses extremely seriously and doles out harsh punishments for those convicted. If you are accused of a sexual crime, it is very important you seek the help of an experienced attorney who can effectively present evidence for your side of the issue while aggressively advocating for your rights. At Deckard, Kofsky & Clark, LLC, our Stuart sex crime lawyers will do just that while working closely with you to ensure you are heavily involved in your case.
Call us today at (772) 238-7231 to schedule your initial consultation.
Types of Sexual Crimes
There are many crimes that are considered sex crimes in Florida and they each come with their own definition and set of penalties.
Common sexual crimes in Florida include:
- Sexual Battery: This type of crime occurs when the alleged aggressor participates in forced oral, anal, or vaginal contact with the victim using their own sexual organ or foreign object. The severity of the penalty will vary depending on factors such as the victim’s age and how badly they were harmed during this encounter.
- Lewd & Lascivious Acts: There are a number of actions the state of Florida may consider lewd and lascivious. These include, but are not limited to:
- Indecent exposure
- Indecent exposure in the presence of a minor
- Encouraging, forcing, or enticing a sexual action
- Engaging in a sexual action
- Committing an unnatural sexual action
- Indecent exposure over a computer
- Any of the above in the presence of a minor, a disabled individual, or an elderly person
- Prostitution: The state criminalizes this type of sex work along with acts of engaging minors in and soliciting prostitution. Some prostitution charges include:
- Solicitation of a minor using a computer or technological device
- Soliciting a parent, legal guardian, or custodian of a minor for illegal sexual conduct using a computer or technological device
- Traveling to meet a minor
- Traveling to meet a minor facilitated by a parent, legal guardian, or custodian
- Child Pornography: Possession of pornography featuring a person under the age of 18 involves knowing of and/or controlling the viewing of this illegal media. Additionally, it is illegal to give pornography of any type to a minor as well as send this media to a minor through the use of technology.
- Sexual Misconduct: Sexual misconduct occurs when a person in a position of power over another uses this power to gain a sexual act. For example, a therapist who engages in a sexual relationship with their patient would be considered entering into an act of sexual misconduct.
Penalties for Sexual Crimes
In Florida, a person convicted of a sex crime faces some of the most severe punishments in the country. For example, someone convicted of sexual battery could face up to 15 years in prison, 15 years of probation, and a fine not exceeding $10,000.
An aggravated sexual crime is usually punished more harshly than any other crime. A crime becomes aggravated when the alleged aggressors uses a weapon either on the alleged victim or to threaten them into participating in the act. An aggravated sexual crime is an automatic felony and could land a person in jail for the remainder of their life.
Strongly Advocating for Our Clients’ Rights
Deckard, Kofsky & Clark, LLC is ready to represent and protect your position from initial consultation to the conclusion of your case. We will help you gather evidence and witnesses that support your position. Additionally, we will build a strong defense strategy that we will effectively litigate before a court. Our lawyers will stop at nothing to obtain positive results to your case.
“Mr. Deckard who is a former police officer saw through the lies and fought hard to keep me out of prison.”- Former Client
“I was in a difficult marriage and needed a lawyer who was able to help me through the divorce and protect my kids. Mr. Kofsky was ...”- R. Sessions
“Martin Kofsky represented me in an ugly divorce last year. I picked him because he was smart and tough...”- M. Moran